CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Words of Encouragement

Yesterday, I decided to take my three oldest children bowling. Whitney had won some free bowling passes that were expiring on the 1st and the inner cheapskate in me (Thanks Dad!) couldn't let them go to waste. Plus, I had been feeling a little guilty that they were feeling neglected. Chris was too exhausted after doing all the previous nights feedings for Landon and said he would stay home with him. I on the other hand had enjoyed 11 hours of uninterrupted sleep and was feeling like a new woman. While we were there a nice lady came up and told me how much she admired me for bringing all three children bowling by myself. The word brave was even used! LOL When she first approached me I was a little worried she might be coming over to ask me to keep my children under control, as they had the misfortune of sharing the lane next to ours. My kids kept narrowly missing major collisions with them due to their complete inability to stay in our lane! I went from feeling a little frazzled to feeling proud of myself.

One thing that I have noticed about Southerners is that they are always quick to give a compliment, even to total strangers! There has been many times where I have had random strangers compliment me on my parenting, offer their thanks for Chris's military service, or even pay for our meal at a restaurant anonymously (when Chris is in uniform). Yesterday's encounter really got me to thinking about how I could be so much better at giving out encouraging words to not only those that are close to me but yes, even to perfect strangers. =D Thank you for the great example Southerners! You have inspired me!!!

3 comments:

Pepple

I love Southerners. We get the nicest comments from people here in OK too. We've had people pay for our meal and ice cream or just randomly come up and comment on how much they enjoyed watching our family. You're right, its a good reminder to be nicer to everyone, including strangers.

Mindy

I agree with you..I wish I could also be more like that. I really miss that, because germans aren't so much like that :) ha They are nice, but they very much keep to themselves. Guess I will have to change that. (maybe)

~The Dippold's

What a good post. I totally agree with you. Just a little nice comment goes a long way. :)