CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 1, 2008

Heather's hair rant!

Life is so unfair! Not only is my natural hair color the most boring color known to man (potato skin brown) but even worse it is naturally curly. Imagine this being said to you in an Eastern European accent dripping with disdain, "this color, I do not like, it is not pretty. It is like the color of potato skins. True story. You would think by my age I would have made peace with this issue but unfortunately I have not. Hence the hair rant, just so people can have a small inkling to my pain. This is not a attempt to fish out some compliments. I want people to know that I am fully aware of how hideous my hair is. This morning I even shocked myself a little. As I was attempting to do something with this frizzy mop, I actually found myself seriously pondering this thought "I wonder if I went through chemotherapy if my hair texture would change?" Or if you find yourself thinking its a good thing there aren't any hair clippers in the house or I would be shaving my head Britney Spears style, you know your pain is real. This humidity makes my hair wild and out of control! If you saw me on the 4th of July you will understand what I am talking about. Suffice it to say that my own husband alternated between pity and laughter every time he looked in my direction. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place literally. Straightening my hair is an hour long process that half the time ends up looking like a Brillo pad after a few hours. I have tried countless products, treatments ect. Wearing it curly makes me feel like I'm stuck in the era of big hair bands and have fallen into a time warp. I would so cut it super short, if only I wouldn't look like a man in drag. Don't even start me on my hair disasters. I could go on for pages but I will stop myself. My poor husband gets to listen to this rant at least every few months. I can't even find a color that looks good on me. My last attempt was supposed to be a dark brunette but ended up looking very red. I am open to any suggestions, ideas or even sympathy.

9 comments:

labelle31

Oh my, Feather! You and your hair! Your hair looked beautiful when I was visiting in June, and I'm sure it still does! Who is this creature who told you your hair was the color of 'potato peels'? Does she have a blog or email address? You tell her that your mother would like to have a word with her! You were beautiful from the second you were born to this very day! Don't forget it, either!

The Patty Cake House

I agree with your mother!! You are darling and HILARIOUS! Who could ask for anything more.

Melissa & Jimmy

I agree too, you are beautiful and that means your hair too! I hear you on the frizz, especially here in Alabama. I know you said you have tried countless products but have you tried pureology? I have some stuff that helps keep my hair super straight and it helps with the frizz...nothing else has worked for me. Your hair is beautiful you crazy woman!

Susieq

I do sympathize with you because I well remember so many times I stood in front of the mirror screaming at my hair. This started in high school when all the girls had straight hair. Mine isn't too curly, just enough that it never looks combed long.
And, of course, Mom would say you are so blessed to have wavy hair. Now after five kids and over 50 years of age, I want to go back to that hair. Now I have to use expensive stuff so you can't see the thinning spots. I know saying enjoy it while it's there doesn't help much. But your hair is the stuff I used to envy. The grass is always greener, isn't it?

Pepple

I feel for you!! I have always had a love/hate relationship with my hair and it seems to get worse the older I get and the more humid the places we live are! Its got to be rought having such curly hair in such a humid place! If it makes you feel any better, I always wished I had perfect hair like yours!! :) Have you ever tried having it professionally straightened?! Just take joy in knowing even on a "bad" hair day you are still gorgeous!

Carissa

I have always loved your hair straightened, and what the heck is wrong with the color of potatoes? Someone once told me my hair was the color of dirty dishwater. Not just dishwater, DIRTY! I'd take the potato compliment (and yes, I wash my hair every day).

Rachel

You have awesome hair! I remember when you had it straight and I think you had it curly a few times and I didn't think you looked like an 80's rocker :) I so feel your pain though, I have half incredibly straight hair and with each pregnancy I get this odd wavy half of hair only in the back of my head. Straightening is the same for me I have too much hair and no time for vanity...the plight of a mom. And to add to things I've always loved my beautiful Dark hair with red highlights from my mom's flaming red hair until recently when I've been plucking grey hairs by the dozens. Which means I'm going to have to start spending money on coloring and it will take away my awesome wonderful natural highlights...boohoohoo! I'd take potato skins if they didn't show grey hair @ 30 :) By the way Potatos are some of my favorite food anyway!

Amber

Ok seriously every time I saw you, I ALWAYS thought your hair was gorgeous. No lies!! Your hair always looks good. Your color is perfect also. I do know what you mean about bad hair days though, we all have them. Seriously though your hair always looks good in my eyes!

Hollee

What brand of Flat Iron do you have? And plus, try doing the golden brunette if the red bothering you. I also learned the other day (maybe you know this already) that your suppose to comb your hair with a fine tooth comb before ironing. It will give a sleeker look.

I would attempt to tell you how great your hair is, but I know it's useless! :)