CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

16 Years=Half a Lifetime


It struck me today right around this time in October, 16 years ago Chris and I started dating. Since we are now 32 that means we have been together for half of our life times up to this point in time. (Minus a few months when "I broke his heart and dumped him".) He is going to kill me when, he sees I posted this picture on my blog! You can't really see it in the photo but he had quite the mullet haircut going on. He hates to be reminded of this fact. Just yesterday we were in the car when we passed a teenage boy with long hair walking down the street. Chris said with complete disgust, "that kid needs a haircut!" Oh, how times change. It was one of those moments when I thought you have changed so much but yet are so the same. How is that possible??? To us Chris and another 16 years together.

What Love Is
A Fable for Our Times
by Carol Lynn Pearson

Their first touch
was at seventeen
when the moon was high
and her hair was soft
and her skin was warm
and her lips were full
and her heart beat fast
against his chest.

As he looked at her looking at him
he had never seen anything
so beautiful-
and he thought,
“Now I know what love is.”

Another touch
was at twenty three
when the rings were placed,
and the sun was high
and the church was bright
and her gown was lace.

As she looked at him
looking at her,
his eyes were moist
and his voice was soft
as he promised to be true forever-
and she thought,
“Now I know what love is.”

Another touch
was at twenty-four
when they shook hands
on the deal they’d struck
that he would stop saying
when he saw her sneak a cookie,
“A moment on the lips,
Forever on the hips.”
And she would stop
cutting out Ann Landers’ column
whenever it talked about
what women want of men
and just tell him what she needed,
for crying out loud.

As she said, “I’m sorry,”
and he said, “Forgive me,”
they held each other tight
and laughed-
And they thought,
“Now I know what love is.”

Another touch
was at twenty-eight
when he held her legs from shaking
and pressed her back
against the pain
while her body wrenched
and the head appeared.

As he held his son
he looked at her
and her hair was wild
and her skin was damp
and her eyes were closed
and he had never seen
anything so beautiful-
And he thought,
“Now I know what love is.”

Another touch
was at thirty-four
when she kissed the back of his neck
and watched him disappear down the hall,
one arm holding the child
who had been sick all day
and the other arm holding the child
who had drawn flowers with Magic Marker
all over the new kitchen wallpaper
after having flushed her earrings
‘bye-‘bye.

As she sat in the recliner
and listened to him sing,
“Home, home on the range-
hey, hush, pardner,
the little lady needs quiet,”
she smiled-
And she thought,
“Now I know what love is.”

Another touch was at forty-two
when they gave high fives
on that jubilant day when
their boy graduated with a 3.8
and got the art department’s first prize
and their daughter sang a small solo
in the school play
and was wearing the costume
she’d made all by herself
and landed a summer job
at the Pizza Palace
and told them she didn’t want
to pierce her navel after all.

“What a father these kids
must have!” she said.
“Ah, no, he said,
“you should see their mother!”
They hugged-
And they thought,
“Now I know what love is.”

Thousands of touches
through the following years
in celebration
and in grief-

when she stroked his hair
and told him she just knew
he’d get another job soon,
and cheese sandwiches are her favorite-

when the sunset from the front porch
was too lovely to watch alone

when they got that call
from the officer
in the middle of the night
about their son

when she got “employee of the year”
after the kids were launched
and he emailed everyone he knew
when they strolled the beach on Maui
after twelve years of putting
all their quarters in a row of jars

when their daughter moved back in
during her divorce

when they shared the first tomato
their first grandchild
grew all by herself

when all the children and grandchildren
were with them at Thanksgiving
and each one had a long list
of gratitudes.

Their final touch
was at eighty-nine,
and her heartbeat rose
on the monitor beside her bed
as it always did
when she heard his walker in the hall.

Her hair was thin
and her skin was cold
and her lips were dry,
but she blew him just a hint of a kiss,
which he caught with a hand that shook
and pressed it to his cheek
where the tear was.

As he looked at her looking at him
silent and smiling,
he had never seen anything
so beautiful-

And they knew that they knew
what love is.

18 comments:

Katie Webb

Wow, I just emailed Clint and told him he HAD to check out your blog! I love the picture! Clint had a mullet too, but I'm pretty sure he was like 10 years old :) LOL Thanks for posting this! It gave me a good laugh.

Kaysha Alesa

Chris's mullet is cracking me up. You look hot with your 80's hair. I think you should grow it back.

The Fisher's

I love that little story - and yes, you can see the mullet. There is no hiding a mullet! You look stunning by the way :o)

Kattelman Krew

No, no,
you gotta love the Mustache!!!
and the way he's standing...
-sssoooo ssuuaavvee!
Seems Mark and you both come from the same era :)
He,he,he

Chris may be not happy about it, but I'm ssoo glad you posted it!

Elizabeth

I love the picture. I am so glad you would share that with all of us. Happy 16 years!

The Cook Clan

You guys are sooo cute!! I didn't know you guys had been together that long...that is great!!:)

steph

sweet picture! you two haven't changed much at all:)

Susieq

I remember thinking in Oct sixteen years ago how glad I was that Chris had you in his life. I've thought that so often since then.
And that poem made me cry, I love her poems. It really fits you because I know how much you two love each other! Here is to another sixteen years and then another and another throughout eternity.

Brett and Diane

First off LOVE that you posted that picture. I just have to show it to Brett tonight he will get a good "kick" out of it.

I also love What Love Is A Fable for Our Times my mom gave that to Brett and I right after we got engaged. Have you read The Lesson that's my absolute favorite.

Joe*Nikki

I LOVE that picture of you guys!! You know, Joe had a mullet too when he was a kid. HAHA

Carissa

GREAT picture! Congrats on 16 years!

malia

oh my gosh! that little story/poem was so cute! i kind of teared up at the end when her heart skipped a beat when she heard his walker. :)

that is crazy that you have been together half a lifetime! wow! congrats!

oh, and i love the picture! and i totally remember the hair! :) ah, the good old days!

~The Dippold's

WOW! Congrats on 16 years together! Dan had a mullet too when he was younger. How funny!!

Duncan Family

luv the pic! too funny
where do you get your backrounds from?
nadia

Pepple

Sweet! Oh my gosh that picture is priceless!!! Makes me a little sick...you guys have always been so adorable together!

Rachel

Wow! Wow, wow, wow...that is pure late 80's early 90's if I've ever seen it...and hey there was a time when mullets were cool...now it's just unfortunate when it happens.

jaimeanderson1

I LOVE that picture! I have one in my photo album! :)

Benjamin and Jennie

oh my this is an awesome picture!!! i love it!