CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Ode to Rain

One of my favorite feelings is waking up in the night to the sound of rain. There is just something so delicious feeling about being nice and cozy in your bed while listening to the soothing sound of rain falling. For some reason rainy days make me feel like not only is it okay to be completely lazy but almost expected of me. It got me to thinking though about why I love rainstorms so much.

Growing up in the desert of Southern Nevada, rain was a rare commodity. We did occasionally have thunderstorms where the power would go out. My favorite was when this happened in the evenings and we would have to get out the kerosene lamp. I remember at the first hint of rain hoping for a power outage. And joy of joy when it actually did!!! Running with such excitement for the lighting of the lamp. These occurrences happened less and less as I got older, finally dying out completely. Modern technology conquering the elements, I suppose. I think that's where my love of rain began. With nothing to do but watch the storm and wait for lightening to illuminate the sky for that brief instant of time. Listening to the thunder roll, as a small child it all seemed almost magical. Beyond human understanding or control. Even the smell was divine. Rain falling on parched desert sand is such a clean smell. The mind can't help but turn to diety and the mysteries of life.

7 comments:

~The Dippold's

I totally agree!! I love a rainy day at home. I feel like I can sit back and relax and not worry about a thing. Maybe that is why I love it so much is because I take the time to enjoy the simple things such as the beauty of listening to the rain fall. It always puts me to sleep! I love it!!

Katie Webb

I miss the Alabama rain so much! I have so many pictures of rainstorms its rediculous!

Joe*Nikki

I just woke up from a nice nap. I can't help but take naps on a rainy day. I have no make up on and my hair...is just crazy. Rainy days are for relaxing and being lazy. By the way, the way you wote your "ode to rain" made want to go out and eat a warm just baked cookie. I know weird. Just thought I would let you know. :)

Anonymous

Yes! Power outages! From sever weather! (Sorry, overly excited.) I loved those as a kid. My parents had a wood stove with a flat top and one winter when we were left without power (for all of an hour) my mom fried eggs on the top of it. I thought that was the best thing ever. Thanks for stirring up old memories with your poetic words!

Anonymous

severe...sorry

Carissa

That was beautiful Heather! You really captured the feeling of a great rainstorm. It reminded me of when I was a child and the power went out. We lit candles and made toast and homemade hot chocolate on the top of the wood stove. You're right about how it eventually went to just flashlights for a few minutes because the power outages got shorter and less frequent as time went by.

The Fisher's

I know Aaron would agree with you on rain in the desert being so neat - he loved living in the desert and wouldn't mind being back that way again, it's so different from rain anywhere else! Thanks for opening my imagination and allowing me to see through your eyes for a few minutes, it was written beautifully.