CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 8, 2008

Beware of Stinky Pee...


Let me start off by saying Ashlyn seems to be that unlucky person who has one health problem after another so the chances of this happening to your child are probably very slim but I say it is better to be informed than ignorant. She has been to more doctors than my older two kids combined. About two weeks ago I noticed that Ashlyn's pee was smelling really foul. But that seemed to be her only symptom. Otherwise she seemed perfectly fine. I realize I have an overly developed sense of smell and can even smell a difference in my kids pee when they take antibiotics. I asked Chris if he had noticed and he said he had so then I knew it must be pretty strong, and not just my imagination. I thought she might have a UTI but felt a little silly listing her cheif complaint as stinky pee. Something of an oxymoron! As if pee ever smells good. Regardless, I took her in to see the Doctor and we tried and tried to get her to pee in a cup but of course she would not. But I could tell the Doctor thought I was just another panicy Mom. He said she's probably just a little dehydrated and her urine is really concentrated. I went home with a pee cup and after several days finally got her to pee on her potty and was able to take in a urine sample. Sure enough the lab results came back today and she does indeed have a UTI and the culture is growing out E. coli! They told me they would have to call around to find a pharmacy that even carried the medication she would need and get back to me with the info. This can develop into a serious problem if left untreated.


Of course I rushed right down to Rite Aid to pick it up and Ashlyn spied a giant, stuffed Dora doll she couldn't live without. Curse the inventor of Dora and their merchandising team! Dora is everywhere and on everything! I kid you not. She kept hugging her and saying oh, MomMom (thats her new name for me) I lub Dora! She's so cute! Dora loves Ashlyn! I was seriously caving and thinking I would cough up the $20 bucks and buy her Dora. Chris and I have been trying to be better with our money so I called him to strengthen my resolve and help me say no. Of course, he said, "No Way! Don't you buy her that." But then Ashlyn got on the phone with her Daddy and started telling him how much she lubs her Dora. And then reeled him in with I love my Daddy. When I got back on the phone with Chris he said oh, buy her the Dora doll, its only 20 bucks. Even though I know she is totally working us it still works. You would think we would be a little tougher her being our third child and all. Anyways, back to the original story.


The moral of the story is this, Mom's know when there is something wrong with thier child! Always listen to that intution that tells you something isn't right no matter what the doctor says. We Moms want to believe there is nothing wrong so it is nice to let yourself believe that. But you will be able to tell the difference between normal Mom worry and something really doesn't seem right. As a new Mom I was too easily made to feel stupid by the all knowing doctors and think well the doctor must know best. Just remember you know your child best! Thanks for helping me remember that Emilie. =) I will try to refrain from giving out parenting advice from now on. ha, ha.

8 comments:

The Fisher's

I hope Ashlyn gets all cleared up real soon! Crummy luck - but maybe she is just getting everything out of the way medically now and will be the picture of health when she's older :)

Joe*Nikki

Oh, poor Ashlyn! We hope she gets better. You're an awsome "MomMom."
Let us know if we can do anything for you guys.

The Patty Cake House

You are so funny - I love reading your blog. You always make me laugh. I am so glad I am not the only one who can be sweet talked by a two year old. She is so stinkin cute I would have bought her anything she wanted! :)

Mindy

I still to this day have no idea who and what Dora is, but all I know is my little niece keeps saying "vominos" Does she speak spanish? I am confused. I am so glad that you noticed her pee smell :) so it won't get worse! You are such a good mom, you are a great example of the kind of mom I want to be.

Pepple

You are such an awesome Mom!! I hope it clears up quickly. Now you are going to have me sniffing Lola's pee!! haha...

The Phipps

I hope that Ashlyn gets better soon! You are a great mom!

Susieq

There is a reason they call it mother's intuition. Motherhood comes with that and the eyes in the back of the head thing. One day Angela was sitting on the couch and Kiti came up behind her and started moving her hair. Angela said what are you doing? Kiti said I'm looking for the eyes.
Just remember, Heather, trust your instinct. Doctor's may not understand it, but it's soo real. And I'm not surprised Chris caved on the Dora. You are both terrific parents!!

Jenny Kuhni

Oh my goodness! I hope she gets better soon! Poor little thing. I will definitley take your advice anytime on parenting. Your kids are amazing!