CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Social Homebodies

Isn't my title an oxymoron??? Yes, I think it is, but I can't quite think of how best to describe my oldest two children. When I was a kid, I always wanted to go to my friends houses. My kids actually prefer to have their friends at our house. Which inclination is more common? Was I abnormal or are they? They want to have friends over all the time though!!! For the most part I prefer it that way too but sometimes I would like it be just us. They in turn don't seem to understand this bizarre notion, so I guess that makes us even.

Also I am not sure how to feel about this. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Should I be happy that they prefer our home to all others? Or should I be concerned that they are control freaks or somehow socially handicapped? Just a little glimpse into my mind and the over analyzing that occurs way too much.

6 comments:

Susieq

In my humble opinion (which means for what it's worth) I think it is a very good thing. It means that you have the 'fun house' in the neighborhood. Think of it as the Aunt Brenda house that all the neighborhood kids want to be at.

Anonymous

I totally agree with the above person..honestly it is a goal of mine to have our house be the "fun/safe house". I want other kids and my own to feel that our house is a comfortable house to be in. I would rather always have my house full of a bunch of kids and know what they are doing then to have my kids over at someone else's house.

Katie Webb

I would like knowing my children prefer to be in our home. That is a huge compliment to you. Especially if their friends agree that your house is better than their own. It also allows you to keep an eye on what they're doing :) BUT, I would also want them to play at their friends' houses once-in-a-while so that I can get some peace and quiet! But no, I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

Shannon

I think you should be happy that your kids want to be at your house. We allow the kids to have sleepovers at other people's houses on occasion, but we would much rather them have friends over at our house most of the time. Plus, you get to totally keep an eye (and ear) on what's going on!

Carissa

It's obvious that:

a. you've made your home a very comfortable and fun place to be

and b. you two rock as parents because your kids aren't embarrassed to be around you with their friends ;)

Are they control freaks? I don't know, but I'd prefer having kids that socially "take control" over kids that are "followers" any day! Maybe just set some limits on play hours so your family has time to itself everyday (I'm sure you already do this).

Brett and Diane

I think it just means they must have an awesome home and mom. Growing up our house was always the gathering place still is and I loved/love it!