CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, November 13, 2009

She's Only 10!!!

Tuesday afternoon I took the kids down to Lyster's flu shot clinic. It was a bit of a madhouse and of course fell during Landon's usual nap time. The children were not happy to be there. I was the picture of the harried mother. I noticed a boy who looked to be around 14-15 staring at Whitney. I asked Whitney is she knew this boy though I couldn't imagine how she might. She said no. I was then distracted by Ashlyn who was doing a great job of being in some one's way at all times. Then as we were walking out to our car, I noticed another adolescent boy staring at Whitney. As he passed us by our eyes met and his face was overcome with embarrassment and it finally dawned on me . . . he was checking Whitney out!!! Of course, I knew this day was coming. I even knew it would come earlier than expected because Chris and I were both early bloomers. But it was still quite the shock to my system! I wanted to yell at him, "she's only 10"! I wasn't nearly as prepared as I thought I was. Thankfully she is pretty much oblivious to the opposite sex. She still spends a lot of her time playing with her LPS toys. I just hope she is not forced to grow up before she is ready. I was actually pretty traumatized by my own early maturation because emotionally and socially I was simply not ready to deal with the expectations and assumptions that people make when they think you are 3 years older than you actually are.

3 comments:

This Idaho Girl

I also experienced the flu clinic yesterday. No one was checking me out, though, except to look at me distainfully when Amelia repeatedly removed her shoes. I think it's a blessing that Whitney is oblivious to boys. Hopefully she'll stay that way for awhile.

Susieq

Hey, look at the bright side. She's got a Dad who will keep the boys away from her. I can only imagine Chris's reaction to hearing that the boys were checking his little girl out. But she is a beautiful girl.

Shannon

Oh my. Sometimes these moments are like a slap in face!