CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Grandma


Last week the kids had spring break. I went back and forth on whether or not to go visit my family in Nevada. Mostly I was just feeling lazy and not wanting to drive (Chris had to work) and pack. We ended up going and I am so glad we did. Prior to this past December I had not seen most of my extended family in about 3 years. During that time my Grandma was moved into a nursing home.

We went to visit her on St. Patrick's Day. I was fighting tears the whole time we were there (granted I am a crybaby). The indignity of old age is hard to witness. I have often thought on how we start this life completely dependent on others and often end it the same way. I have also often thought how most older people are either extremely sweet or extremely crabby. It seems like it is a final testament of how well we have withstood the refining process of life.

My Grandma had Alzheimer's and didn't know who I was the last time I had seen her. This visit she seemed physically miserable and barely hanging on to life. I was told by the staff that she was just having a bad day but I felt like she was not long for this world. My Grandma was 93 years old and missed my Grandfather terribly. He has been gone for 22 years now and she often spoke of how much she missed him. She was completely devoted to him. I said a little silent prayer while we there asking Heavenly Father to take her home soon. She passed away five days later on March 22, 2010. Sometimes death is a blessing. This was one of those times. I feel like it was a blessing that I was able to see her one last time before she passed. I know she and my Grandfather had a very joyous reunion.

Growing up my Dad's parents were the only grandparents I ever knew. They lived next door to us and I have a lot of happy memories of time I spent with them. Most of them are very simple things that have more to do with how they made me feel.

Grandma was a talented artist. She enjoyed playing the piano and doing genealogy work. She had a weakness for good looking men, flowers and jewelry. She raised 1 daughter and 5 sons. She had 27 grandchildren and her 43rd great grandchild is on the way. I am looking forward to celebrating her life this Saturday with the rest of my family.

4 comments:

The Phipps

Glad that you got to see your Grandma. What a joy that it is to know that families are forever. My Memama died a few months ago (not a member) but I look forward to doing her work for her in a year. I'm sorry for your loss.

Susieq

I enjoyed getting to know your Grandma when we lived behind her. She was a great lady. I know you will all miss her, but I agree that there was a wonderful reunion in heaven. Thanks for sharing. Give your family my sympathy.

The Patty Cake House

This was the sweetest post. I'm so glad you were able to see her. You are a sweetheart.

Mary

What an awesome tribute to your grandma! You made me feel like I know her. I'm so glad you got to see her again, and my best to you and your family in your loss.