CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Decade of Gavin


This year we celebrated one decade of Gavin. It doesn't seem that long ago that he was my sweet little baby boy.  I was really nervous to have a son.  Mostly because I have just never felt like I related well to boys.  I would see Mom's with all boys and feel kind of sorry for them and somewhat aghast.  Lucky for me, Heavenly Father sent the perfect son for me.  Gavin was completely and wholeheartedly a Mama's boy for his first 2 years of life.  He did not care for anyone but me.  He was even a snuggler! This was a welcome development. ( I had felt a little cheated with Whitney because she was like a social 2 year old by 8 months of age.)  I quickly started to appreciate the joys of boys!

Gavin is my child that I see the most of myself in.  Sometimes that is hard, sometimes it is weird and sometimes it helps me appreciate myself a little more. Having Gavin is a bit like having a rock star around.  Little girls have always liked Gavin but it is starting to reach new levels.  We can be out and little girls will start squealing & screaming his name and run over with delight.  I am often approached and asked in an awe tinged voice if I am Gavin's Mom. 

Gavin is sweet, kind, thoughtful and loving. He has always had a strong sense of right and wrong.  He is a little vain about his hair.  He hates loud noise.  His personal hygiene is very important to him.  Especially his oral hygiene.  He must have his loofah and body wash at all times.  Humor is very important to him.  Ever since preschool he has tried very hard to make others laugh.  His likes to read but the books must be humorous.  The Wimpy Kid series and Roald Dahl's books are some of his favorites.  He loves babies and his personal weakness is Landon.  He is physically incapable of telling him no.  He just recently learned to tell Ashlyn no so Landon still has a few good years left.  Favorite treats are Oreos, whoppers, soda pop and ice cream.  When he gets around large groups of boys he gets a little wild. It still surprises me to see that he gets bossy around other boys as well.  Gavin is the king of trivial information and facts.  




Eating his chosen breakfast of donuts.



Helpers on hand in case he just can't manage to rip through that wrapping paper.


Landon really wanted Gavin's soda and tried his best to snag one.  Of course, the World's Best Brother shared with him.


Chris decided 10 was a great age for Gavin to get started on his gun arsenal.  He was pretty pleased with his .22 rifle!  Now he just needs a lifetime membership for the NRA. Landon was also on hand to take this one off his hands if needed.


He said he wanted an Oreo cake so Chris whipped up this cake for him. It was really good!



Mid-wish.



His look of intense concentration.  Gavin had been shooting with Chris a few times but seems to be something of a natural shot.  Hitting full soda cans, glass bottles and other targets with ease.  I can't say the same for myself.  I had only shot a handgun once forever ago but had always been pretty good at those arcade shooting games.  Not the same thing at all!  I was getting so frustrated because I could not hold it steady and hit anything to save my life.




It is always when my kids are lying down next to Chris when it really hits me how big they are getting!  He has always been tall but seems to be on a major growth spurt recently.  He is now 4'10" just 2 inches shy of 5 feet.  He weighs 95 pounds and wears a size 7 1/2 shoe in mens!

We finished off his day with dinner out at a local burger place called Lindy's.  Gavin's all time favorite food is hamburgers!  Just cheese, meat, bun and lots of ketchup.  We drove go carts and played laser tag.  It was a good day!


1 comments:

Brett and Diane

Happy Birthday Gavin! Wish I could have tasted the Oreo cake it look delicious!